Review: The Dry Bar's The Brush Crush and Hot Toddy




Hair: The Dry Bar The Brush Crush and Hot Toddy Spray
Lipstick: Stila 

I was thrilled to have the opportunity to test out The Dry Bar's newest fun gadget, The Brush Crush, and new styling spray, Hot Toddy Heat Protectant Mist. My hair is naturally curly and usually does not like to be messed with. I have issues with straightening it myself, as it tends to look like straw or limp when I'm done- Not the polished look I'm going for. If I want a blowout, I like to have it done at the salon versus hoping it'll turn out alright in my own bathroom

So, I was interested yet doubtful when The Brush Crush arrived on my doorstep. This tool combines a straightener and a paddle brush. I wasn't sure if it would be able to brush through my curls and I wasn't planning on loving the outcome. I was VERY pleasantly surprised by the "after". First, I brushed through my hair with a regular brush. I fought through any tangles and then sprayed my hair with the Hot Toddy styling mist. This mist claims to protect hair from heat damage and aid in sleek styling with the tool. 

Hot Toddy smells good and feels good- It wasn't thick or perfume-y. It felt extremely light on my hair, indeed like a mist. The Drybar website explains that the mist includes "Marula Oil coats hair strands to deliver protection from heat with a satin, frizz-free finish, Fire Tulip Extract protects against heat, leaving hair looking healthy and restored, heat-Activated Rice Protein strengthens hair to protect it against the drying and damaging effects of heat styling, and UV Protectors shield hair from UVA and UVB rays and excessive heat that cause dryness and color fading."

I turned on The Brush Crush and set it at the highest heat setting of 450 degrees. I waited for a bit then started brushing through a segment of my hair. I parted my hair into several chunks and just went chunk by chunk. The best thing about the brush was the fact that even though I placed it on a very high heat setting, it wasn't hot to the touch. The thick plastic "bristles" can touch your scalp and not burn you at all, unlike a regular straightener. But yet, it was indeed producing a very high heat into my hair. My hair was hot to the touch after using whish proved to me that it reached the temperature it displayed. The brush also has a 60-minute auto shut-off safety feature.

I made sure to hold my hair taught against the brush with each stroke for maximum straightening and I flipped my ends out a bit so that they weren't stick straight. I like my hair with a little more bounce on the ends- it just looks more natural on me. 

After brushing through all of my hair, I teased around my face and at the top of my head for a bit of volume. My hair looks fantastic! It was a polished look that usually takes me forever to accomplish, yet I was done in about 15 minutes.

I think my one complaint would be that the large plastic bristles don't allow any way to straighten those baby hairs around my forehead. I have several little wispies that curl up, so the look wouldn't be complete on me personally without going back and straightening those around my face with a small straightener. 

My advice to folks with curly hair like mine would be to wash your hair, blow it out straight without any product in it, then use the brush. I used it after a full day at work so I had already styled my hair with curl cream and I felt that the product in my hair made for a gross feeling and possibly hindered the finished look. That was my mistake, though, and even still I was happy with both products.

The Brush Crush is $145 and the Hot Toddy Heat Protectant Mist is $26. 

Overall I really liked The Brush Crush and the Hot Toddy mist! I was shocked at how quickly I was able to straighten my hair and at how effectively the brush moved through my easily-tangled locks. I think both products are worth-while investments for anyone who regularly uses straightening tools. I was impressed for sure. I look forward to using it again! 

Comments

Popular Posts