Charming Charleston


Daniel and I spent my spring break wandering around Charleston, South Carolina (yes, it has taken me this long to get around to posting about it- oops). We wined, dined, and shopped our way around the most charming city I've had the pleasure of visiting in a long time. Sadly, the weather was uncharacteristically chilly for our first few days, But, it was sunny and warm on day three. Other than the wind on that day, it was absolutely gorgeous. I have no complaints- This gave me an excuse to pop into J.Crew and buy a great navy jacket for the chilly days.






We found that most all places of interest are very close together, which is fantastic because you can park the car and walk from spot to spot. We took in the sights, from Rainbow Row to the infamous pineapple fountain. We toured he Charleston Exchange, which was fascinating. Did you know that this building is one of only four remaining where the Constitution was ratified? The basement, or Provost, used at one time as a jail, was a scene straight out of The Pirates of the Caribbean ride. We ventured down King Street and we spent hours touring the incredible U.S.S. Yorktown (CV-10) at Patriots Point.


We strolled the beautiful downtown streets and adorable alleyways, looking tirelessly for Thomas Ravenel's house because our fave trash TV show is Southern Charm. No shame. The ivy-covered staircases and gorgeous front doors were mesmerizing. You could get lost roaming around the cute little streets and admiring the mansions for hours if you let yourself.

Speaking of Ravenel, the Arthur J. Ravenel bridge was beautiful. We stayed on the other side of the water than the historic area, so we got to drive over it each day and I enjoyed that. I also enjoyed how dog-friendly the city was. Everywhere we walked, we spotted people walking dogs of all sizes. Many of the restaurants and stores had water bowls out on the sidewalks.

Daniel and I are both huge seafood fans and we love a great meal. I always look forward to trying local foods and experiencing restaurants when I travel. The food was amazing and really, that is what matters most on vacation, right? Here were some of the highlights:

We ate at Ellis Creek Fish Camp on night one and were not disappointed. I gobbled up my lobster roll and Daniel loved his blackened seafood dish. My Carolina Mule was delicious, too.


Our other dinner was eaten at Fleet Landing Restaurant and Bar. The view was great, but would have been even better if the weather cooperated. Oh well. The restaurant boasts a nice patio with a perfect water view. But since it was so cold, we spent the night indoors. The bar was packed and our drinks were good. I loved the decor and our service was great. We enjoyed seafood pasta (me) and fried clams, oysters, and fish (Daniel). Both meals rocked.

We popped into Carmella's Dessert Bar on a late afternoon and I slurped down an amazing drunken coffee milkshake while we sat outside on the sidewalk and people-watched. It was scary how tasty this was.I have GOT to learn how to make these at home.

On our quest to stalk the Southern Charm gang, we visited the Palace Hotel, a bar a bit out of the way compared to everything else, but worth it. I had my go-to drink, Jameson and ginger ale with lemon, but the star of that visit was the plate of street corn hush puppies. They were essentially corn bread balls fried up and drizzled in a light sauce and cheese. I mean...do I really need to explain further why they were amazing?

One of Daniel's favorite food moments happened at the Oyster House and O-Bar. He slurped down some snazzy oysters and was all kinds of happy. I tried one for the first time and about vommed when I got some pieces of shell in my mouth. No thanks. But, I thoroughly enjoyed their crab cake sandwich and we both had fun drinks at the bar.



The Brunch Breakdown: 
On Tuesday, we spent the morning feasting at the quaint and glorious Hominy Grill. We waited for our table by ordering at the outdoor bar window. I got a mimosa and fell in love with the bartender for asking me what my ideal orange juice to champagne ratio would be (More champagne than OJ, of course). Daniel got the spiked coffee, which was a nice combo of coffee, Kahlua, and Bailey's. When our table was ready, we were walked inside to a sweet little table in the corner. I had the shrimp and grits, which came with mushrooms, onions, and bacon. Daniel ordered the fried chicken and biscuit sandwich, which arrived in a lake of gravy. We both died. The food was amazing. 





This was such a fun little getaway for us Skeltons. We got a good taste of what this city has to offer in our short visit, but we agreed that we would love to come back and experience more of what Charming Charleston has to offer. Here's to the next adventure!

My outfits from the trip are linked on the Shop My Looks page. Go check it out!


Comments

Popular Posts