My Favorite Things {Patterns}


"Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree"

-Emily Bronte

 

Autumn. It means pumpkin spice, leaves falling, crisp weather, football season, comfort foods, Halloween and Thanksgiving. To me though, one of the best things about fall is the fashion. I love breaking out my rolled up sweaters, my corduroys, my boots, my scarves, my coats. And the most fun part of fall fashion? The patterns


They scream out for layering, mixing, matching, and combining. I've always been one for loud clothing and I like big colors. I wanted to be a fashion designer when I was little until I realized it involved sewing. I was out real quick after that. But, my love of fabric and design never faded. I enjoy putting outfits together and seeing what looks works. I think fall is the greatest time to make a statement with your clothes because you can layer up and create your own looks or stick with one great patterned piece. You can look put-together and ready to cheer loud in the stands at a football game and you can be a cuddly cozy fashionista at the Thanksgiving dinner table. The weather this time of the year is unpredictable in Indiana, so you can sport your dress one day and your coat the next. If you're scared of patterns, fear not! Everyone, and I mean everyone, can pull off my fave Autumn prints.



Some of my favorite fall prints and how I love to wear them below:


1. Animal Print.
Photo by Megan Gilbert Photography


Rawwwr. Just kidding. Look, animal prints get a bad name for some reason and that needs to stop. Faux leopard, cheetah, and giraffe designs can add a perfect touch of sass and spunk to any ensemble. I wear this scarf to work often, as it can be layered on top of seriously anything, from a Piko dress to a jean shirt- both seen above
I fell in love with these animal print boots as soon as I put them on. They're a special accessory, plus comfortable to teach in all day or rock at a tailgate- which I did last weekend and now I'm thinking they're lucky boots because they helped Purdue BEAT IU! I'm usually a sucker for any type of fun shoe anyway, so add this catchy animal print and I'm in. Secret- they're from the kids department:) They can take a look from boring to cute.  I like to tuck leggings into them, or pair them with rolled up jeans. 
Photo by Sarah Parent Photography
You know those pieces in your wardrobe that just make you happy when you put them on? This zebra skirt is one of those pieces for me. Here, I have a black turtleneck sweater tucked in it and I donned black satin heels. Daniel's gingham button-down made for a fun pairing between our two outfits. Sometimes it is fun to mix and match prints as a couple; you can tie your ensembles together without seeming too much like you're going to prom...(Click "Read More" to continue reading the article)



2. Plaid. 

Plaid works on everything. I love this dress I wore to a Purdue football game because it was cool enough for the unusually toasty day. I cinched the waist with a Purdue belt and layered on black and gold necklaces. This is the only cute picture from the day because after this was taken, I spent my time wiping off face sweat and complaining about the heat.
Plaid options are endless, as this print can contain any color combo and the lines can vary in sizes. It is also a great transitional print, as it can take on a wintery look as well.We took a family photo as soon as the tree went up with Boomer and Derby and I stayed comfy cozy yet cute in my plaid blanket scarf. It gives November and December vibes with the hunter green color and cranberry and yellow lines.


3. Gingham.

Who doesn't like gingham? It can be loud of soft depending on the color and size of the pattern. Fun fact: gingham is always an even-sized check patterns, one of the colors being white. I wore this black and white dress to our senior night this year, as we honored our 8 senior cheerleaders on the track. This is a big night for our girls and their families, so it warrants an outfit worthy of the many photos taken over the course of the evening. It was a beautifully brisk October night, so I started off in just the dress then added the red vest on top as the night cooled down even more. The bell sleeves were a lovely feminine touch to the print. I paired it with black booties and some Broncho-red lipstick. 
I whipped out this gingham dress for the first time at a barn wedding the other night. It has a fantastic wrap dress with a large navy and white print, topped with a glorious poufy sleeve. I wore black thigh-high boots, both because they're awesome and because this barn is known for being freezing so I wanted my legs covered. We had a blast at the lovely wedding and the gingham dress was a nice compliment to the country-chic feels of the event.
By the way, Tracey and Zarah have been rocking gingham since the 90's. Dalmations Zabrina and Charlie steal the show in this picture, though. 
 

4. Polka Dots.

I do not care who you are, anyone's heart can melt at the sight of some precious polka dots. This skirt came in handy quite a few times already since I purchased it. I wore it to judge a pageant, to a wedding, and to work. One of my students told me that it has a very 50's look and I agree with her. This navy and white polka dot cuteness paired so well with a gingham top tucked in to it (above). Don't be shy when it comes to doing this. The prints work well together and were perfect for the wedding's theme. I paired the mixed prints with nude heels and a hot date:)
This black and white polka dot number features a tie waist and off the shoulder neckline. I wore it to celebrate a friend's engagement at a beer garden in Indy. I love its ruffle feature on the top and the skirt.Perfect for celebrating the evening away. 
The navy and white polka dot dress above was my Thanksgiving outfit this year. I knew I wanted to dress up but also knew I wanted to eat Turkey and sweet potatoes until my stomach burst, so I chose this dress. The high ruffle neck is sweet and sophisticated, yet the flowing skirt didn't make my food baby feel constricted last Thursday. Not photographed: the Ugg slippers on my feet. Shout out to the amazing people in this picture; my Grandma and Grandpa Clancy.


5. Stripes. 
Ah, my favorite ever. In our house, the hallway leading from the front door into the kitchen is painted with bold navy and white stripes. Half my wardrobe is striped. The bridesmaid dresses in our wedding were striped. I like stripes a lot. I think stripes are great because they are so versatile- they come in any width, any color, and can change their identity completely just by going from horizontal to vertical to diagonal. 
I wore this subtly striped light blue and white dress to a recent wedding in Indianapolis. It was a great piece for late September. The stripe on this is so light and sweet that from afar, you can't even tell it is patterned. The pink heels spiced it up a bit. The bow accent at the waist is what attracted me to this dress, along with the ruffle detail at the hem.
One of my favorite dresses is this light blue and white striped one (hmm, I obviously like blue and white patterned pieces) because of the seersucker material and the bell sleeves. Bright jewelry like this yellow necklace makes it pop. Burgundy, orange, or gold jewelry would give it a more autumn-y effect. 
Throwing it back to the sash days! This formal striped gown was one of my absolute favorites from my year as Mrs. Indiana 2016. I wore this gown to the Glitz and Sass Fashion Show last November as a featured speaker. It features a fun black and white stripe on the skirt and a black bodice. This dress is elegant but movable- I felt totally content in it while drinking some wine and having some appetizers before speaking to the crowd about my year as Mrs. Indiana.
Photo by Sarah Parent Photography
Continuing with the black and white theme, above is one of my most-worn sweaters. I dressed it up here by wearing it over a black textured button-down shirt and a vibrant red necklace. Daniel sported his print too with his red plaid shirt under a cozy grey sweater. Isn't he handsome?


Take advantage of the fun that fall fashion allows and sport your favorite printed pieces!





Comments

  1. You had me at animal print! I love animal print anything, especially shoes, so you got me with those boots! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree completely- it adds a little pizazz to any outfit, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. That zebra skirt is fabulous. I can see why it makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts