Happy Mothers' Day


There is no better day than Mother's Day to celebrate my mom. She is my supporter, manager, editor, friend, cheerleader, stylist, and photographer. She is the Lorelai to my Rory, minus all the annoying speed-talking. I am thankful for her and I know that I don't always show it. Often, we take our anger or frustrations out on our moms because we know that even when we are jerks, they still have to love us. And often, we go to our moms for wisdom. We send them texts like, how do I wash this shirt? or do you like these boots? or how do I respond to this email? She always helped me with pageant paperwork and read over my college papers. She helps me choose the right necklace and tells me when I need more lipstick. She approves my important texts and emails before I send them and reminds me of family birthdays. She has given me excellent pieces of advice over the years. Here are a few of the best ones:
1. Be involved.
Upon entering my freshmen year of high school, my mother gave me some of the best advice I have ever received. She said to get involved, and I did just that. I dedicated myself to multiple teams, clubs, and leadership positions throughout my high school career, and that carried over into college. With the help of that involvement, I was not only granted admission to the school of my dreams, but I was given the opportunity to have a voice at Purdue through organizations that I cared about, like my sorority. I have used my experiences to help me find success in my adult life, and I continue to get involved in new ways; through my community, career, and passion for volunteering.  I like staying busy and I enjoy making a difference as a coach, a pageant director, a titleholder, and a volunteer. I have her to thank for my passion for being a part of something bigger than myself.
2. Get the dress.
For me, this means quite literally get the dress because we are pageant people and boy, dresses are what we love. But this means you only get one shot at most things, so big or go home. This might mean splurging on the dress that you don't need but will make you feel like a million bucks. It might mean going on the trip to see your friends that you don't really have in the budget or saying yes to an event for work that you really don't have time for. Maybe you're tired and don't want to go out for drinks with your friends. Bite the bullet and go. You can lay on your couch any other time. Maybe the friend's bachelorette party in another state comes at a bad time. Buy that plane ticket and get packing anyway because you will have a blast once you're there. Maybe a student personally asked you to come to their soccer game but that is your only night off. Go and yell for them when they make a goal. Maybe you don't feel like driving six hours for a cousin's wedding, or getting up super early to volunteer somewhere. Get over it. I can think of many times when I would tell my mom that I didn't want to go to the Cactus in college (I was lame and sleepy sometimes) or many times when I was dreading the hours in the car to get to an appearance as a titleholder. She always reminds me that I won't get these chances again, so suck it up and be thankful. Be in the moment, take the plunge, be there for people, buy the dress. You don't get redos in life and you'll never regret those times you said YES to life's best moments.

3. Handle your business.
My mom didn't call my teachers and ask how I could improve my grades. She always made me talk to teachers about my grades in school myself because they were my grades, not hers. Growing up, I was shy so she made me go up to people and introduce myself so I would get better at it. When I wanted to break up with my first boyfriend, she made me call him to do it instead of texting him because that was the right thing to do. When I wanted to quit in the middle of cheerleading tryouts in middle school, she made me go talk to the coaches in person and explain to them why I wasn't trying out instead of letting me just stop showing up. She taught me to approach people and to take charge. When I call her and complain about how someone is treating me or how I'm upset by a situation, she tells me I can't complain about it anymore until I do something about it and talk to the person. No one likes confrontation or talking to strangers or dealing with their problems. That is human nature. But, you can't be successful in life if you don't learn how to communicate. I have my mom to thank for my ability to teach my students and cheerleaders to right way to handle things, as young adults.
4. Love your kids silly.
My mom (and my dad and grandparents) are always willing to drop everything to do something for me. If I am scared to drive home in the snow, she will drive me all the way to West Lafayette from Michigan just so I won't be scared. When I had my national pageant in Las Vegas, she went with me and spent the entire week there stuffed up in a hotel room so that she could help me steam my gowns, iron my clothes, bedazzle my giant peony wings for my state costume and get me Pepto Bismol when I yacked in the hotel lobby. My whole life, she has missed things, canceled things, and moved things when I needed her to. She came down and spent ten days helping me in and out of bed and reassuring me that my foot turning blue didn't mean my leg would have to be amputated when I had hip surgery in May. Daniel was in Illinois for work so I needed her. So, she was there. And I plan to be the same kind of mom for my children because I know how much I appreciate everything she does for me.
.
.
.
Thank you to all the moms out there. Thanks for all the time spent driving us places and cheering us on in the stands, money spent on sports equipment, dance lessons, and birthday parties, and time spent teaching us valuable life lessons. We are only good people because you made us that way and we are all so thankful.

















Comments

Popular Posts