Things I've Learned from My Dogs


It might be more common to write about things I've taught
my furry pets, but I am not a pro dog owner. I make a lot of mistakes and I am in no way trying to give pet-rearing advice here. One of my dogs eats poop. So obviously I'm not qualified to tell anyone how to raise their pets. I'm not a disciplinarian and I'm not the type to show the girls who's boss. I'm the type to have long conversations with them, snuggle with them, feed them peanut butter off of a spoon, and share my spot in bed with them. Daniel and I taught our dogs, Boomer and Derby, how to sit, shake, open the back door, and appreciate a good medium rare steak. They teach us everyday too, and I love the life lessons they've shown me.

Boomer


Derby Rose





Be Affectionate

Boomer isn't happy unless she's sprawled across my lap. Derby hasn't given up on trying to lick my face all the time (and she's the one who eats poop). They both sleep in our bed, and generally, they both sleep on me, leaving me about thismuch room on our queen mattress. They are never afraid to snuggle or kiss, they enjoy cuddling together on their favorite rug, and always enjoy a nap with me on the couch. They teach me to be affectionate. They show me that they're happy to see me when I come home by howling and leaping into the air and I swear they smile when I'm telling them that they're good girls. They break down the doggie gate to get to me when I run upstairs to grab my shoes and they follow me into every.single.room because they just want to be by Mom. Lesson: Always show the ones you love how much you love them, either with a hug or the wag of your tail.




Be Playful

Derby Rose is up for a play session any time, any day. She loses most of her toys under our couches and chairs. She tears her stuffed animals apart in about ten seconds and then wildly distributes the stuffing all over the floor. She then drags the empty carcasses throughout the house. We have a "dead toy" drawer where armless creatures wait it out until we can sew their limbs back on. She runs like a racehorse from fence to fence in our backyard, chasing rabbits and sticks as she goes. When her Golden Doodle friend named Stella or her Yellow Lab "Uncle" named Dug are around, they play so hard you think you're watching hairy dinosaurs fight for food. Those wild things don't waste a minute when they are together, playing and playing until they are slobbery hot messes. These play dates never cease to entertain. Lesson: Life can't be all work and no play. Take the time to have fun and always appreciate the precious time you get to spend with friends.  





Be Adaptable
When you are a nine-year-old dog, you don't really want to deal with your humans' crap anymore. Daniel and I bought our house a year and a half ago. The transition was rough for Boomer. She had a hard time adjusting to her new home and I didn't blame her. She was used to her routines, her old house, her old yard, her old life. And because we are mean pet-parents, a few months after moving, Daniel and I brought little baby Derby Rose home. Boomer wasn't thrilled. At all. She wouldn't sit on the couch (her favorite spot) for the longest time because Derby liked to sit on the couch. She walked around growling tiny, muffled growls just to remind us that she was ticked off about life. We stopped letting her outside without a leash because we kind of thought she may go walk out into traffic to end her misery that was her new existence with a new house and a new, hyper, puppy roommate. Poor Boomer developed a chronic look on her face that we clearly interpreted as Eff You Guys.

BUT, I am happy to say that after awhile, she started to love her house and her new sister. She gets so excited to return to her home after going on a trip and she often tugs on ropes and throws around bones with Derby. She may have struggled through it, but she learned to adapt to her new life and she became an even happier dog because of it. Lesson: If a nine-year-old dog can accept and embrace change, so can you.






Comments

Popular Posts