Adventures of Mrs. Indiana {Miss Indiana Amazing}

I've had an exciting start to my reign as Mrs. Indiana! I had the pleasure of judging the Miss Indiana Amazing pageant here in West Lafayette on April 30th. The Miss Amazing Pageant is a program that "gives girls and young women with disabilities the opportunity to build self-confidence in a supportive environment".  It is open to any girl or woman who meets the definition of disability under the government laws and acts defining a disability.

I got to chat with the contestants for a few minutes each during the interview portion of competition. We talked about interests, hobbies, and favorites. I loved getting to know the ladies of all ages and enjoyed hearing how much fun they were having. That is what pageantry is all about; fun and boosting confidence. Watching these girls and women learn from pageantry in the same way I have was heart-warming. I teach special education classes and I know the role confidence plays in ALL aspects of life, but particularly how important it is for people with disabilities in the classroom setting. Building confidence is like building a muscle. The more you train it and the more it grows, the more you see the results. You start to notice the impact that it has on students in the classroom when they feel more comfortable asking questions, working with peers, forming friend groups, and completing assignments.

After interviews, the show began and I sat back and enjoyed the talent showcase. This portion was not judged, so I was able to simply watch and clap along. There was a wonderful variety of talent on stage and they all ended with cheers from the audience. Each contestant got to introduce herself and walk on stage in an evening gown. They beamed with pride. Who doesn't love strutting their stuff in a great dress?

Throughout the day, us judges weren't "judging" at all. We were getting to know these young ladies in all aspects of their lives. What did they enjoy, what made them smile, what excited them? We wanted to see confidence and wanted to help these lovely contestants practice communication and conversation skills. I LOVE that this program encourages contestants to push themselves. Talking to a stranger? That's hard for most of us. Singing in front of a crowd? That's even harder! That is why it is so neat to see these ladies choose to do these things that most of us fear, and not only survive but completely excel. The power of pageantry, mixed with the love of spectacular directors and involved parents made for a day full of smiles and happy tears from this judge. Each girl and each woman was perfectly amazing, indeed.

Thank you to directors Lexie and Ashley for having me. 

For more information about Miss Amazing click here.

To help me pay for expenses throughout my year as Mrs. Indiana, including my trip to nationals in Vegas, please consider buying an awesome t-shirt or donating to my GoFundMe page. I so appreciate any and all help! This road is an absolute honor to travel down, but it is indeed a very expensive one as well. Donations will go toward my required national ad, my travels, and Mrs. America preparations.




Comments

Popular Posts