How to Kentucky Derby


Y'all, it's Derby Season. In a week, Daniel and I will be on our way to Churchill Downs to witness the greatest two minutes in sports, the Kentucky Derby. I learned a lot from my first Derby adventure two years ago. My best pieces of advice are as follows:

1. Don't wear expensive shoes. Ladies and gentlemen, do not try to be fancy in terms of footwear. You will regret it as much as the random bets you place on a horse just because you like the color of his jockey's silks or his name. Whether you are sipping mint juleps in the grandstands or soaking up the sun on the infield, don't wear any shoes you hope to ever wear again. Also, don't wear white shoes because dust. Don't wear heels because you'll want to walk around. Browsing all the vendors, food stations, store (hi my favorite Vineyard Vines Shep Shirts) and paddocks is half the fun so be sure to wander around a bit.

2. Go all out with your hat. You will have neck cramps from twisting and turning your head violently all day to see around your hat brim. Yet, I stand by my advice to wear a hat. Because Kentucky. This is one of the only times when wearing a giant, feathery/flowery/glittery/, obnoxious head piece is not only acceptable, but encouraged. So do it and do it big. The ability to see the world so clearly without straining your neck the next day will feel like sweet freedom.

3. Take a big purse or bag. You will want this to hoard things in. Mint juleps come in collectable glasses and they are absolutely adorable. Not only are they precious, but they are also like $340848589475 each. No joke, bring tons of cash for drinks or pregame. So, it is beyond me how so many people just leave these glasses around! I found piles of them sitting by trash cans, on the ground, in the restrooms, you name it. I got lucky and found a cardboard box, so I used that and stuffed it full. I wish I had known to bring a bag and I could have saved myself the awkward looks one gets when one carries a cardboard box filled with cups around.

4. Enjoy the Atmosphere. There is no other place quite like Churchill Downs on Derby Day. People watching is fascinating and betting is so fun and addicting that you kind of maybe get why people start a problem. Enjoy it. If me telling you to isn't a good enough reason, the crappy cell service will be. Expect to disappoint your Instagram followers because those pictures will take twenty years to upload. Put the phone away and cheer on a horse.


5. Get there early. Many people don't realize that the actual Kentucky Derby is one of many races happening that day. Get there in the morning and spend the whole day watching race after race. You learn a lot as the day goes on and the opening act races get you all pumped up for the main event.

6. Get engaged. That's what I did and it made for a pretty incredible Derby experience. I highly suggest it.

Comments

Popular Posts